Friday, August 1, 2008

Thing 17: EBSCO things

I created a search alert for my latest music research, the Bakersfield Sound. It was really great - I set up a web page which included a cool picture of Buck Owens, and articles about him and the sound. I have never used these tools personally, I'm too old and/or wasn't working in the right kind of librarianship that needed them. But I really like them. How handy that would be when writing a paper - all your citations, notes, photos in one place.

I decided to continue the search in Proquest, very easy to do, and also a great way to gather a lot of research information in a short time. Again, I wished I'd had this when I was in school.

NetLibrary, also terrific. I really liked this assignment, but I like to research things. Never liked writing the papers, but my research was extensive.

Like the student 2.0 tools, these tools are obviously geared more towards students. I will use them again, and show my kids how to use them as they have school projects.

No comments: