Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thing 13: Online Productivity Tools

I tried out a lot of these things, thinking "there's got to be a better way for me to be organized." What I concluded is that most of these tools reminded me of the lo-tech tools I used to read about in parenting magazines when my kids were little. (If you make up this chart, and your child brushes her teeth and puts her toys away, you give her a star. When she has 25 stars, she'll be trained and you buy her a toy...) Ugh. I just don't have the personality to follow up on all these little tools. Our Groupwise at work is useful and ever-present.

I tried out iGoogle, because I already have a google acct. The page just gets too bloated with options, I have a hard time focusing in on what I should be doing. Also, my computer seems to slow down with all the added bells and whistles. I thought the countdown wizard was fun and perhaps useful for counting down for a library event. ta da I don't think would be useful in a library setting, but personally it was convenient for my hubby and I to share a list of things we were both working on (daughter's birthday list, groceries). A shared calendar between Doug and I seemed convenient in spurts, but not something I'd bother checking every day.

I wasn't greatly impressed with Backpack
I liked Zamzar for converting files - that's a great tool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this is for you but we needed a shared calendar in my family that was easy to use for some of the nontech folks in my family. We tried a bunch and ended up using Qlubb (www.qlubb.com). I couldn't believe the complexity of some of the "family" websites out there with all of the options. You can't beat Qlubb's simplicity - it takes all of 3 minutes to figure it all out and it's actually useful.

They don't have that "ubiquity" of groupwise. I think it would be great if they had mobile support and maybe an RSS feed so I can see it on my home page. They do send me email reminders though which is helpful since I read email every minute of the day.